Naruto Shippuden is a popular anime series that follows the adventures of Naruto Uzumaki, a young ninja who dreams of becoming the Hokage, the leader of his village. Along the way, he faces many enemies and challenges, including the Akatsuki, a mysterious organization that seeks to capture the tailed beasts that reside within certain individuals, such as Naruto himself.
One of the most intriguing characters in the anime is Mitsuki, a synthetic human that was created as a partial clone of Orochimaru, one of Naruto’s former enemies and a legendary Sannin.
Mitsuki has a mysterious background, a unique personality, and extraordinary abilities that make him stand out from the rest of the characters. In this article, we will explore Mitsuki’s origin, appearance, skills, role, and future in the anime Naruto Shippuden.
All about Mitsuki
- Birthdate: July 25
- Sex: Male
- Species: Synthetic Human
- Height: New Era: 149 cm
- Kekkei Genkai: Jūgo’s Clan’s Kekkei Genkai
- Classification: Medical-nin/Sage/Sensor Type
- Affiliation: Otogakure/Ryūchi Cave/Konohagakure
- Team: Team 7
Using special technology, Mitsuki was created as a modified clone of Orochimaru, being cultivated from the same embryo as at least one older “Mitsuki”, and raised in a test tube. Just like his “brother”, Mitsuki was named after “Tsuki” (坏 , literally meaning: Shallow bowl) and the sixth sign of the Chinese zodiac calendar, “Mi” (巳, literally meaning: Snake).
In the event that Mitsuki would reveal any details about his creation, Orochimaru implanted a strong juinjutsu on his heart, that would automatically activate, causing Mitsuki to self-destruct in order to conceal the secrets of Orochimaru’s research.
Orochimaru, as Mitsuki’s “parent”, wanted Mitsuki to find his independence, having concocted a complex plot for Mitsuki to do so. On Orochimaru’s sixth attempt of the plan, each time erasing Mitsuki’s memories of the previous, Mitsuki mastered Sage Transformation and decided to rebel against his “parent” and “older brother”.
He left their company and set out to forge his own destiny himself, now going by the name “Mitsuki” (巳月) by replacing the second character with “Tsuki” (月, literally meaning: Moon).
Upon discovering the existence of Boruto via a gift from Orochimaru, Mitsuki realised the truth, that Orochimaru wanted him to find his own path in life. Mitsuki then decided to go to Konoha and befriend Boruto to truly discover who he is.
The Seventh Hokage accepted Mitsuki without prejudice, and hid the child’s background from the rest of the village, barring from his close friend and adviser and a few others; even the Konoha Council and the Fifth Hokage were not aware of this at the time.
Where Did Mitsuki Come From?
Mitsuki was created by Orochimaru using special technology and genetic engineering. He was cultivated from the same embryo as at least one older “Mitsuki”, and raised in a test tube. He was named after “Tsuki” (巳杯, literally meaning: Shallow bowl) and the sixth sign of the Chinese zodiac calendar, “Mi” (巳, literally meaning: Snake).
Orochimaru treated Mitsuki as his son and experimented on him to enhance his abilities. He also implanted false memories into him to make him believe that he had a normal childhood and parents. However, Mitsuki eventually discovered the truth about his origin and decided to escape from Orochimaru’s hideout.
He was then contacted by a snake-like creature that claimed to be his “older brother” and told him to go to Konohagakure to find his “sun”, someone who would give meaning to his life. Mitsuki followed his brother’s advice and enrolled in the Academy to become a ninja.
Mitsuki has a very calm and matter-of-fact demeanour. He is generally seen very cheerful, if not indifferent, towards the situation at hand. While not confrontational, he freely speaks his mind in any situation, and does things at his own pace.
He is also shown to have a sharp wit, being well-read and observant, showing advanced knowledge in mathematics and about the history of other villages. He’s quite close with Boruto, caring about his opinion above that of most others.
He is also shown to work well with Boruto in coordinated attacks. Seemingly stemming from his harsh upbringing with Orochimaru, Mitsuki is very vicious in battle, showing no restraint and willing to kill his foes without hesitation.
He is also very driven and committed when given a task, as when he was ordered to kill someone, he would not waver regardless of who it is. During his time at the Academy, it doesn’t seem as though he had much of a friendship with Sarada Uchiha until they were assigned to Team Konohamaru.
Despite not revealing much about his origins or parent to them, Mitsuki cares about his teammates, Boruto and Sarada, to the point where he never hesitates to rush to their side when they are in danger or in need of assistance.
Mitsuki has a high opinion of Boruto as the son of the Seventh Hokage and the grandson of the Fourth Hokage. His attachment is such that he chose not to display his Sage Mode when its use could have helped him during the Chūnin Exams, fearing that he would not be able to stay in Konoha, and its exposure also being inconvenient for Orochimaru.
His concern for his friends even exceeded his desire to stay in Konoha, as he was willing to reveal his Sage Mode to protect Boruto. His generally composed or cheerful personality aside, Mitsuki has great insecurities about the nature of his being.
Wondering what it means to be human and to have one’s own identity, he even has doubts about whether his choices are truly his own. Apparently wanting to better validate his existence, he greatly enjoys meeting and connecting with new people.
Mitsuki seems to admire Naruto and Sasuke Uchiha due to them both being high-ranked shinobi, and tells Boruto and Sarada how his parent told him their fathers are rivals who can fight equally.
Mitsuki also holds a great deal of admiration for his parent as well as confidence in his abilities, to the point of being naive, as shown when he boasted to Boruto and Sarada that Orochimaru was even more powerful than both of their fathers.
Despite choosing to walk his own path rather than what Orochimaru made for him (which is what he secretly wanted), Mitsuki has adapted some of Orochimaru’s personality quirks, including taking samples of everything unique around him.
As noted by his fellow classmates, Mitsuki prefers spending his time Boruto’s company and often agrees and goes along with his ideas without complaint; though he will rarely point out faults with Boruto’s plans. Mitsuki is also a minimalist, with his home having only necessities and a few pictures.
When asked by Sarada, Mitsuki explained he had no interest in the Extreme: Shinobi Picture Scrolls card game, even though Boruto liked it; making it one of the few things they disagree on.
Mitsuki considers buying trading cards a waste of money. While Mitsuki has trouble understanding animals even more than people, he adopts a stray cat he names Mikazuki.
While friendly by nature and loyal to those close to him, Mitsuki has little understanding to the deeper feelings of love, finding such a sensation new and strange.
Mitsuki has tousled white-blue hair, thin eyebrows, with golden eyes, and a pale complexion that he inherited from his parent. According to several of the girls in his class, he is very handsome.
His attire consists of a loose-fitting two-toned light and dark blue kimono shirt with billowing, overlong sleeves, tied by a thick khaki-grey Ono-stylised belt, and a pair of navy pants.
In addition to his outfit, he wears black long fingerless gloves and black calf-length shinobi sandals. Upon becoming a shinobi, Mitsuki starts wearing a black Konoha forehead protector on his head.
Three years after Boruto’s leaving of Konoha, Mitsuki’s hair grew longer and messier. He also began wearing dark overlong-sleeved robes closed left-over-right with high, light-coloured boots and two belts around his waist which connect to a light-coloured pouch.
What does Mitsuki look like?
Mitsuki has pale skin, white hair, and golden eyes with slitted pupils. He resembles Orochimaru in his appearance, but also has some features that are unique to him. He has a purple stripe running down his chin and a horn-like protrusion on his left temple.
He wears a light blue jacket with yellow buttons over a white shirt, dark blue pants, and black sandals. He also wears a forehead protector with Konoha’s symbol on it. He carries a large scroll on his back that contains various weapons and tools.
Mitsuki’s appearance changes when he activates his Sage Mode or Sage Transformation. His skin turns dark purple, his hair becomes longer and spikier, his eyes turn red with black sclerae, and he grows snake-like appendages from his body.
What can Mitsuki do?
Mitsuki is a highly talented and versatile shinobi who can use various types of ninjutsu, taijutsu, senjutsu, and fuinjutsu. He can also manipulate his body parts and transform into different forms.
Some of his abilities include:
- Wind Release: Mitsuki can use wind-based techniques to create powerful gusts of air or sharp blades of wind. He can also combine wind with other elements to create more complex attacks.
- Lightning Release: Mitsuki can use lightning-based techniques to generate electric currents or bolts of lightning. He can also use lightning to enhance his physical speed or strength.
- Snake Techniques: Mitsuki can summon or manipulate snakes for various purposes. He can use them as weapons, shields, scouts, or allies. He can also communicate with them telepathically.
- Body Modifications: Mitsuki can stretch or reshape various parts of his body at will. He can extend his limbs, neck, or tongue to reach distant targets or avoid attacks. He can also detach or reattach his body parts as needed.
- Sage Mode: Mitsuki can enter a state of heightened senses and abilities by gathering natural energy from his surroundings. He can use this mode to perform more powerful techniques or access new ones.
- Sage Transformation: Mitsuki can transform into a snake-like hybrid form by using natural energy from his body. He can use this form to increase his physical attributes or gain new ones.
What is Mitsuki’s role in Naruto Shippuden?
Mitsuki is a minor character in Naruto Shippuden who only appears in one episode as a cameo. He is seen watching Boruto Uzumaki’s fight against Momoshiki Otsutsuki on a television screen along with Orochimaru.
However, Mitsuki plays a major role in the sequel series Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, which takes place after the events of Naruto Shippuden. In this series, he becomes a genin and joins Team Konohamaru along with Boruto Uzumaki and Sarada Uchiha. He also becomes friends with Boruto and considers him to be his “sun”.
Mitsuki participates in various missions and adventures with his team, such as:
- The Academy Entrance Arc: Mitsuki transfers to the Academy and meets Boruto and Sarada. He helps them stop a group of thieves who are using a mysterious device to control people’s chakra.
- The Sarada Uchiha Arc: Mitsuki accompanies Sarada on her quest to find her father, Sasuke Uchiha, who is investigating the threat of Kaguya Otsutsuki’s clan. He also reveals to her that Naruto Uzumaki is not her biological father, but Sakura Haruno is her biological mother.
- The School Trip Arc: Mitsuki goes on a school trip to Kirigakure with his classmates. He helps them stop a coup d’état led by Shizuma Hoshigaki, who wants to revive the Bloody Mist era.
- The Graduation Exams Arc: Mitsuki takes the graduation exams along with his classmates. He passes the exams and becomes a genin. He is assigned to Team Konohamaru with Boruto and Sarada.
- The Genin Mission Arc: Mitsuki goes on his first mission as a genin with his team. They are tasked with escorting a feudal lord’s son, Tento Madoka, who is targeted by assassins.
- The Byakuya Gang Arc: Mitsuki investigates the activities of the Byakuya Gang, a group of thieves who claim to be stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. He helps his team stop them from causing a civil unrest in Konoha.
- The Versus Momoshiki Arc: Mitsuki participates in the Chunin Exams along with his team. They manage to reach the final stage, where they face Shinki, the adopted son of Gaara. However, their fight is interrupted by the invasion of Momoshiki Otsutsuki and Kinshiki Otsutsuki, who are after Naruto’s chakra. Mitsuki helps his team and allies fight against them and rescue Naruto.
- The Mitsuki’s Disappearance Arc: Mitsuki goes missing after leaving a note saying that he is going to find out his true self. He is pursued by his team and other shinobi who suspect that he has betrayed Konoha. He meets his older brother, Log, who tells him that he has a choice to make between staying in Konoha or joining Orochimaru. He also learns that he has a will of his own that was implanted by Orochimaru. He decides to return to Konoha and reaffirm his friendship with Boruto and Sarada.
- The Jugo Arc: Mitsuki joins his team and other shinobi in investigating a series of incidents involving people being infected by a curse mark that turns them into berserkers. They encounter Jugo, one of Orochimaru’s former experiments who has the ability to absorb natural energy and transform into a beast. They help him control his curse mark and stop the culprits behind the incidents.
Mitsuki is an exceptionally talented shinobi for his age, noted by Orochimaru as potentially more powerful than the Sannin himself. In the Academy, he greatly excelled in both ninja and scholastic learning, and by his graduation exam, fought Shino Aburame into submission (albeit he only destroyed a marker to eliminate Shino). He easily progressed to the finals of the Chunin Exams, and is regarded chūnin-level in skill.
Chakra and Physical Prowess
As a clone of Orochimaru, Mitsuki has extremely high chakra levels for his age, enough to enable him to use Sage Mode. He is extremely quick and agile, able to avoid attacks and redirect them against the enemy.
Very advanced in taijutsu, Mitsuki’s fighting style is very fluid and graceful, able to seamlessly slip through his opponent’s defences and strike with great flexibility.
Akin to a snake, his specialty appears to be body holds and choke-outs. He was also able to hold his own against Suigetsu Hōzuki in a brief scuffle.
As a synthetic clone of Orochimaru, Mitsuki was designed to be genetically perfect. He can heal from minor injuries within seconds with no lingering signs, regenerate lost limbs over time, and does not require food or water for sustenance.
Mitsuki can morph his fingernails into claws, possesses infrared ray detection and can hear low-frequency waves. Mitsuki’s body structure is exceptionally resilient, able to endure more damage than most.
Also, his immune system can resist more infections as well as recover from those he cannot in short periods of time. Mitsuki is able to communicate with animals, clearly understanding them and ask of their aid.
Mitsuki’s signature ability is the Soft Physique Modification technique, able to stretch or contort his body for mobility and as versatile weapons. He can shatter barriers simply by touching them. As he was carrying a sword for a mission, it implies skill in kenjutsu.
In the anime, he showed considerable cutting prowess, able to slice cleanly through a metal beam. He is very stealthy, regularly sneaking up on his friends without them noticing. He can also use sleight-of-hand tactics, concealing needles in his mouth to launch with considerable might.
Mitsuki can summon snakes, with which he can perform Hidden Shadow Snake Hands, as well as the Snake Clone Technique. He can use them to detect movement from a distance, record verbal messages to relay, and upon teaching a snake a scents, it can track down targets. He also excels in Medical Ninjutsu and curse techniques.
Mitsuki is proficient in Wind and Lightning Release, able to create strong winds with the former as well as generate and discharge electricity with the latter. He is a skilled sensor, able to detect the enemies’ presence throughout the area.
He is also able to effectively perform Cooperation Ninjutsu and Fūinjutsu, able to use both to restrict a person’s movements and expand the might of this alongside fellow users.
Mitsuki possesses the ability to use Sage Transformation, able to activate with ease. Unique to him, he grows a single horn from his forehead and cyan chakra shroud.
The shroud forms ethereal snakes around his body that add to his attack range as well as grab and bite targets. His speed increases tremendously, able to snatch a scroll and key from Orochimaru before he had realised it.
Mitsuki can also use Sage Mode, which is noted to be a dangerous power when used in conjunction with Sage Transformation for too long. Prolonged usage causes Mitsuki’s cells to breakdown, damaging his organs beyond repair, surgically requiring new ones while he is put on life-support.