Kimimaro was a powerful shinobi who wielded his bones as weapons. With his Shikotsumyaku kekkei genkai, this loyal follower of Orochimaru could manipulate his skeletal structure to form blades, spears, and more. Learn all about this tragic ninja’s origins, techniques, role in the Sasuke retrieval arc, and ultimate legacy.
Kimimaro’s Background and Origins
Kimimaro hailed from the Kaguya clan, known for their savage battle tactics and kekkei genkai Shikotsumyaku or “Dead Bone Pulse”. This bloodline trait allowed Kimimaro to freely manipulate his skeletal structure as a weapon in battle.
Some key facts about Kimimaro:
- Born with Shikotsumyaku kekkei genkai
- Last surviving member of the Kaguya clan
- Taken in by Orochimaru at a young age
- Fanatically loyal to Orochimaru
Kimimaro was the last survivor of the battle-hungry Kaguya clan, locked in constant war with the Mist Village. After losing his clan, he was eventually found by Orochimaru. Recognizing his excellent abilities, Orochimaru took Kimimaro in and raised him to be a loyal follower. Kimimaro dedicated himself to Orochimaru, hoping to prove his usefulness.
Kimimaro’s Abilities and Fighting Style
Kimimaro’s Shikotsumyaku kekkei genkai allowed him to wield his bones as weapons in battle. He could freely control the growth and density of his skeletal structure. His signature abilities included:
- Bone blades – Grow bones from any part of his body into blades for close combat
- Bullet bones – Fire small finger bones as high speed projectiles
- Bone spears – Create giant drills or spears of bone from his shoulders or palms
- Bone forest – Cause gigantic bone spikes to burst from the ground
Kimimaro was extremely adept with taijutsu thanks to his bone blades and spears. He could also attack from a distance with bullet bones or overwhelm groups with widespread bone forest attacks. His bones were nearly unbreakable, making him incredibly durable against damage.
In addition, Kimimaro possessed tremendous speed, reflexes, and dexterity. This combination of bone attacks and physical prowess made him a lethal opponent in one-on-one combat. Even against multiple attackers, Kimimaro could handle himself with ruthless efficency thanks to his arsenal of bone techniques.
Kimimaro’s Role in the Series
Kimimaro played a pivotal role in the Sasuke Retrieval Arc when Orochimaru sent him to bring Sasuke to the Sound Village. Some key events include:
- Fought the Leaf ninja – Kimimaro battled Naruto, Lee, and Gaara to prevent Sasuke from being returned to the Leaf. He nearly killed Gaara and Lee before Gaara buried him.
- Aided Orochimaru – His dedication to Orochimaru led him to push past his illness and follow his orders until his dying breath.
- Inspired Jugo – Kimimaro’s fighting spirit and loyalty convinced Jugo to follow Orochimaru and find a purpose in life. This allowed Orochimaru to recruit Jugo as well.
Despite Gaara intervening and burying Kimimaro deep underground, the bone ninja continued to persevere through sheer willpower alone to fulfill Orochimaru’s wishes. Only after reaching his absolute limit did Kimimaro finally succumb to his illness and pass away.
Kimimaro formed several key bonds and relationships in the series:
Orochimaru – After Orochimaru took him in, Kimimaro dedicated his life to repaying this kindness. He lived as Orochimaru’s loyal follower, placing him above all else.
Jugo – Their encounter during the Sasuke retrieval mission convinced Jugo to become Orochimaru’s subordinate as well. Jugo admired Kimimaro’s dedication and conviction.
Kabuto – As Orochimaru’s right hand man, Kabuto handled Kimimaro’s treatments and aided in the preparations to make him Orochimaru’s next vessel.
Sound Four – These elite Sound ninja respected Kimimaro’s abilities and viewed him as Orochimaru’s strongest warrior. However, Kimimaro saw them as merely tools for Orochimaru’s plans.
Sasuke – Kimimaro was determined to deliver Sasuke to Orochimaru. However, he showed irritation at Sasuke’s lack of gratitude or loyalty, despite Orochimaru valuing the Uchiha so highly.
Kimimaro’s Strengths and Weaknesses
Kimimaro possessed tremendous abilities and skill. However, he was still an imperfect ninja with clear strengths and flaws:
|Kekkei genkai Shikotsumyaku
|Terminal illness that stifled potential
|Mastery of taijutsu
|Fanatical devotion to Orochimaru
|Tremendous speed and power
|Lack of other abilities like genjutsu or ninjutsu
|Highly durable with unbreakable bones
|Lack of other abilities like genjutsu or ninjutsu
Ultimately, Kimimaro’s single-minded devotion to Orochimaru restricted him from reaching his full potential as a ninja. His unmatched powers still made him extremely formidable, bt his terminal illness sadly cut his life and service to Orochimaru short before he could fully prove himself.
Kimimaro’s Legacy and Impact
Despite his premature death, Kimimaro left a lasting impact on the shinobi world:
- His battle against Gaara, Lee, and Naruto demonstrated the tremendous power of his kekkei genkai. Even the Kazekage struggled against Kimimaro and nearly died.
- He was instrumental to Orochimaru’s plans, aiding in the Sannin’s goal to acquire Sasuke’s Sharingan.
- His unwavering loyalty convinced Jugo to follow under Orochimaru as well. This granted Orochimaru another powerful follower.
- Kabuto was able to study and preserve some of Kimimaro’s kekkei genkai abilities through his medical ninjutsu experiments.
- Kimimaro served as a cautionary tale about devoting oneself too absolutely to a single person instead of forging bonds with many.
Had he survived, Kimimaro may have proved himself as Orochimaru’s strongest follower. But despite his premature death, Kimimaro still showed the tremendous potential and fearsome power lying within the Kaguya clan’s Shikotsumyaku kekkei genkai. His legacy served as a reminder of the prowess of bloodline limits passed down throughout the shinobi world.
In summary, Kimimaro was an exceptionally powerful shinobi burdened by tragedy and illness. His Shikotsumyaku kekkei genkai allowed him to wield his bones as savage weapons in battle. Taken in by Orochimaru, Kimimaro devoted his life to serving the Sannin. He played a pivotal role in the series by attempting to deliver Sasuke to Orochimaru.
Despite his capabilities, Kimimaro’s terminal illness cut his life short before he could fully prove himself. Nevertheless, this lone survivor of the Kaguya clan demonstrated the tremendous potential of his bloodline powers. Kimimaro left a lasting legacy on the shinobi world as both Orochimaru’s devoted follower and a reminder of the strength found in ancient kekkei genkai.