Hanabi Hyuga is a supporting character in the anime series Naruto Shippuden. She is the younger sister of Hinata Hyuga, the heiress of the Hyuga clan, and the aunt of Boruto and Himawari Uzumaki. She is also a talented kunoichi who possesses the Byakugan, a powerful dojutsu that grants her enhanced vision and perception.
All about Hanabi Hyuga
- Birthdate: March 27
- Sex: Female
- Age: Part I: 7
- Height: Part I: 132.4 cm/Blank Period: 150 cm/New Era: 170 cm
- Weight: Part I: 28.9 kg
- Blood type: A
- Kekkei Genkai: Byakugan
- Occupation: Heiress of the Hyūga Clan
- Affiliation: Konohagakure
- Team: Team 15
- Clan: Hyuga Clan
Hanabi was born as the second daughter of Hiashi Hyuga, the head of the Hyuga clan’s main branch. Since her birth, she showed great potential as a shinobi, surpassing her older sister Hinata in terms of talent and skill. Because of this, Hiashi decided to train Hanabi as the future heiress of the clan, while neglecting Hinata, who was deemed too weak and timid.
Hanabi admired Hinata and wanted to spend more time with her, but Hinata’s duties as the heiress prevented them from having a close relationship. Hanabi also witnessed Hinata’s struggles with their father, their cousin Neji, and her crush Naruto Uzumaki. Hanabi wondered why Hinata was so fixated on Naruto, who was an outcast and a troublemaker.
When Hanabi was seven years old, she had a sparring match with Hinata to determine the successor of the clan. Although Hinata had an opportunity to win, she hesitated to strike down her sister, allowing Hanabi to counterattack and defeat her. Hanabi felt sorry for hurting Hinata, but she also felt proud of proving herself worthy of being the heiress.
Hanabi Hyuga’s Personality
Hanabi is a confident and strong-willed girl who strives to live up to her father’s expectations and the clan’s reputation. She is loyal to her family and respects the traditions and rules of the Hyuga clan. She is also a caring and supportive sister to Hinata, often teasing her about her feelings for Naruto and encouraging her to pursue her dreams.
Hanabi is also a fashionable and extravagant young woman who enjoys dressing up and shopping. She has a playful and mischievous side, as shown when she pranked Naruto by pretending to be Hinata and kissing him. She is also a loving and doting aunt to Boruto and Himawari, whom she treats as her own children.
Hanabi is a strict and diligent teacher to her students, Team 15, consisting of Sumire Kakei, Wasabi Izuno, and Namida Suzumeno. She does not tolerate any disobedience or recklessness from them, and she often scolds them for their mistakes. However, she also cares for their well-being and growth, and she tries to help them overcome their weaknesses and fears.
Hanabi Hyuga’s Appearance
Hanabi is a young woman with long, black hair (depicted as dark-brown in the anime), that reaches down to the middle of her back, with long parted bangs with a single lock of hair falling into her face. She also has large, white eyes – a trait shared by all members of her clan.
In the anime, her eyes have a hint of lilac in them. Overall, she resembles her father. In Part I, she was seen wearing a sleeveless, blue v-neck shirt with mesh armour underneath; blue shorts and sandals. Her hair reached the middle of her back.
During Part II, Hanabi had cut her hair short, framing her face in an asymmetrical bob style with the front bangs reaching below her chin. She wore a modified version of her original outfit and had a tan vest jacket with white wristbands on both hands.
She wore shinobi sandals with white bands underneath around her ankles. At the time of Pain’s Assault, she wore a light yellow kimono with light violet painted textures, a red-orange obi with a green cord around, and white tabi with sandals. Hanabi also had a pink flower hair clip attached to her hair on the left side.
Two years after the Fourth Shinobi World War, her hair has grown significantly longer and is tied into a lower ponytail, with a white ribbon. Her hair now reaches well past her hips, and she has two shorter strands of hair in the front with pink ribbons at the ends.
She wears a tan-coloured and long-sleeved kimono shirt with red-orange flames designed on it with a matching knee-length skirt, along with a white obi around her waist.
Years later, Hanabi has grown noticeably taller and slender. She now wears her hair with shorter bangs in the front reaching her chin to frame her face while the rest of her hair which she keeps in a ponytail and reaches her knees. She wears a yellow kimono blouse, a traditional long red skirt held closed by a simple white obi.
Hanabi Hyuga’s Abilities
While unseen to what level, Hiashi noted that Hanabi showed much more potential than her elder sister Hinata, and was more suited for the role of heiress of the Hyuga clan.
Her growth-rate greatly impressed her entire clan, making many wonder if she should be the heiress before it was even brought into official question.
In later years, her talent was further shown as while still training to become the heiress, she also became a teacher for Team 15, proving her abilities to multitask.
From a young age, Hanabi showed strong instincts in hand-to-hand combat. Despite originally not gaining intense training from their father at the time like her older sister, Hanabi soon became able to fight on par with Hinata through sheer solo training.
In the anime, she was able to defeat Hinata in their sparring duel (albeit this partially stemmed from Hinata’s reluctance to harm her sister). Between her raw talent and rigorous training from Hiashi, Hanabi gradually became very proficient in Gentle Fist.
In the anime, during a duel with Boruto, she showed considerable evasiveness and precision, able to effortlessly dodge and parry all of his attacks used alongside his shadow clones.
She could also perform her clan’s advanced hiden techniques, like the Eight Trigrams Palms Revolving Heaven and the Eight Trigrams Vacuum Palm.
As a Hyūga, Hanabi possesses the Byakugan, a dojutsu kekkei genkai. While a common trait for her clan, Hanabi’s is noted by her father to be very powerful, almost as great as her cousin Neji’s.
Hanabi herself is also very confident about her Byakugan, claiming that its perception is as good as any fully grown Hyuga’s. Toneri Otsutsuki described her Byakugan as being “very pure” and specifically targeted her Byakugan in order to awaken the Tenseigan.
When activated, it grants her an almost 360° field of vision (except for a small blind spot), x-ray vision, and the ability to see chakra accurate enough to target the chakra pathway system.
Hanabi’s Role in Naruto Shippuden
Hanabi did not have a major role in Naruto Shippuden, as she only appeared in a few episodes and scenes. She was mostly seen in flashbacks, showing her past with Hinata and their father. She also appeared in some filler episodes, where she interacted with Naruto and other characters.
One of Hanabi’s most important moments was when she was kidnapped by Toneri Otsutsuki, a descendant of the Otsutsuki clan who wanted to use her Byakugan to awaken the Tenseigan, a powerful dojutsu that could destroy the world.
Hanabi was rescued by Naruto, Hinata, Sakura, Sai, and Shikamaru, who infiltrated Toneri’s base on the moon. Hanabi was reunited with her sister, who confessed her love to Naruto and received his reciprocation.
Hanabi also attended Naruto and Hinata’s wedding, where she was happy for her sister and welcomed Naruto into the family. She later became the aunt of Boruto and Himawari, whom she adored and spoiled.
Hanabi’s Role in Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
Hanabi is a recurring character in Boruto: Naruto Next Generations, the sequel series to Naruto Shippuden. She is now a jonin and the leader of Team 15, a genin team composed of Sumire, Wasabi, and Namida. She is also the heiress of the Hyuga clan, as Hinata gave up her position to marry Naruto.
Hanabi is involved in various missions and events that occur in the series, such as:
- Academy Arc: Hanabi visited the Ninja Academy, where she met Boruto’s classmates and tested his Byakugan, which he claimed to have awakened. She also helped Boruto and his friends stop a group of thieves who stole a scroll from the Hyuga clan.
- Genin Mission Arc: Hanabi supervised Team 15’s first mission, which involved escorting a group of actors to a village. She also helped them deal with a rogue ninja who attacked them along the way.
- Byakuya Gang Arc: Hanabi assisted the other jonin in capturing the Byakuya Gang, a group of thieves who stole from the rich and gave to the poor. She also helped Team 15 protect a bank from being robbed by the gang.
- Naruto Shinden: Parent and Child Day: Hanabi spent the Parent and Child Day, a holiday for families, with Hinata, Boruto, and Himawari. She also competed with Naruto in a game of shogi, which she won.
- Versus Momoshiki Arc: Hanabi attended the Chunin Exams, where she watched Boruto and his teammates compete against other genin from different villages. She also witnessed the attack of Momoshiki Otsutsuki and Kinshiki Otsutsuki, who came to steal Naruto’s chakra. She helped evacuate the civilians and fought against the invaders.
- Kara Actuation Arc: Hanabi investigated a series of incidents involving people who were infected with a mysterious virus that turned them into puppets. She also encountered a member of Kara, an organization that sought to obtain the secrets of the Otsutsuki clan. She fought against him, but was overpowered and injured.
- Ao Arc: Hanabi recovered from her injuries and resumed her duties as a jonin. She also met Ao, a former shinobi of Kirigakure who became a cyborg and an agent of Kara. She fought against him, but was defeated and captured. She was later rescued by Boruto and his friends, who also defeated Ao.
- Kawaki Arc: Hanabi met Kawaki, a boy who was experimented on by Kara and implanted with a Karma seal, a mark that granted him Otsutsuki-like powers. She welcomed him into the Hyuga clan and treated him kindly. She also helped him train his chakra control and ninjutsu skills.
- Chunin Re-Examination Arc: Hanabi participated in the Chunin Re-Examination, a test for the genin who failed or cheated in the previous Chunin Exams. She proctored the first stage, which was a written test. She also watched the second stage, which was a team battle.
- Kawaki and Himawari in the Academy Arc: Hanabi accompanied Kawaki and Himawari to the Ninja Academy, where they enrolled as guest students. She also helped them adjust to the school life and make friends with the other students.
Hanabi Hyuga is a minor but significant character in the Naruto franchise. She is the sister of Hinata, the aunt of Boruto and Himawari, and the heiress of the Hyuga clan. She is also a skilled and respected kunoichi who leads Team 15 and possesses the Byakugan. She has a strong and confident personality, but also a caring and playful side.